Review of 2019

Hey guys. How are you all? It’s been a hot month (or two, or three) since I last sat down to catch up with you all. Although I don’t say it in as many words, the undertone in every post is that I’ll pull my finger out “this time” and upload content for you on a regular/consistent basis. I rarely do. But this time I really do mean it because actually I really like sitting down with my laptop, tapping away on the keys and creating stories for you all to read and (hopefully) enjoy.

So, my plan for this woefully neglected little space of the internet that I claim as my own will be showered with a lot more love and attention this year (and beyond) with the intention being to upload a post once a week on a Wednesday (let's ignore the fact that today is Thursday πŸ˜Š). So that’s the plan and I’m not even going to entertain the thought that I won’t be able to stick to this schedule and come up with reasons already as to why I might miss the odd post there and the odd post there due to X, Y or Z. So, there you have it; I’ve said it now so there’s no going back really is there? 😊 

So I guess I ought to start off by saying Happy New Year!! And not only that but a brand-spanking-shiny-new decade too. I usually get super excited for the start of a new year; thoughts of all the pretty planners/diaries to browse through in the shops, the cute stationery to accompany the planner/diary that eventually gets chosen and more importantly a whole 366 days to fill with excitement, adventure, fun, laughter and making memories with those we hold dear make me giddy with delight. But the fact we have just welcomed in a new decade has my excitement levels Off. The. Chart!!!

But before I throw myself into the new year I like to take a minute to look back at the year just passed and remember the highs and the lows. For each high and each low will have taught me a lesson, something to help me understand myself a bit better, life a bit better, and other people a bit better. And I believe it’s important to bring those lessons with me into the new year.

I can’t say that 2019 got off to a great start. In fact, the complete opposite could be said. Within the first 22 days of the year a health issue presented itself with my dad which saw him hospitalised for the best part of eight months, and then exactly a week after that, on 22 January, my husband was told his job was at risk. So not the greatest of starts to the year.

I don’t want to go into too much detail about either of the two things I’ve mentioned above as they are not my business to discuss but needless to say it was a trying time….and being 5 months pregnant at the time meant I was even more emotional than I would ordinarily have been!

February saw me take a lot of trips to Malta to be with my family. My gorgeous niece, my sister’s little girl, turned 3 and my dad celebrated his 60th birthday. I am so pleased I was able to be there in Malta for both occasions. It wasn’t quite the celebration we had imagined for my dad but we celebrated nonetheless.

March was much more of the same in terms of travelling. I needed to get in as many trips as I could to see my dad before I wasn’t allowed to fly anymore.

Ahh, April; what a beautiful month. It was the month of my baby shower which my lovely friend Kimberley had arranged. The location was amazing, the weather was spot on for that time of year and the company was simply wonderful. But as amazing as that was, the highlight of the month, the year, and of my entire life, was the birth of my daughter: Sienna Grace Petty, making an early and rather speedy entrance to the world on Easter Sunday, with the early stages of labour starting the day before AKA the day of my baby shower! My life changed forever in the moment that her cries filled the room and I knew then that my heart had well and truly been stolen. Sadly, in April we also lost a family member; one of my uncles passed away unexpectedly which shook everybody to the core. It’s true what they say; you really don’t know what’s around the corner.

In the months that followed (and even to this day) the conversations we had at home mainly involved some sort of declaration of love for Sienna or surprise that we could have created something so perfect and wonderful. I doubt it will ever cease to amaze me that she’s mine and I get to keep her forever 😊

June saw us take Sienna on her first trip abroad; we were going to Malta so she could meet my side of the family. I was beyond excited. But what I felt even more than that was total overwhelm when I started to make a list of what we’d need to pack for Sienna and I realised the sheer amount of stuff a baby needed when travelling. It was unreal! But we managed and we survived to tell the tale.

August saw Sienna’s baptism. We were lucky enough that a family friend and fully-fledged Deacon of the Catholic Church was available to perform the baptism and for that I will always be thankful. Having Deacon Nick officiate made it so much more special, as did the fact that so many family and friends joined us to celebrate; including my dad who had only been discharged from hospital one day before his flight to Jersey.

September arrived and we were off to Malta again, this time to celebrate my mum’s 60th birthday. Her and my dad had hired a farmhouse on Malta’s sister island; Gozo. Again, the packing list fro Sienna was intense!

November – a bittersweet month; it was the month I went back to work and Sienna started nursery. I was excited to get a full hour to eat my lunch and the thought of being able to finish a cup of tea while it was still hot was utter heaven. But the novelty of those two things wore off pretty quickly, ha ha.

So there you have it; my little life adventures wrapped up in 1,000 words (give or take).

Tell me, how was your year. Did you get up to anything exciting?






Comments

Popular Posts